This is something that contact lens wearers across the globe have been asking about for a very long time, and it’s certainly something I didn’t think I’d see in my lifetime. Introducing ACUVUE® OASYS with TransitionsTM Light Intelligent TechnologyTM
The first of it’s kind * it is a contact lens that seamlessly adapts to changing light conditions balancing the amount of indoor and outdoor light entering the eye, including filtering blue light ** and blocking harmful UV*** rays1,2.
A little fact about blue light, it’s everywhere! From our computer screens to our mobile phones, blue light is emitted from all types of man made technology and of course there is natural blue light in the form of sun light. Even though it is everywhere our eyes are not very good at blocking it and virtually all visible blue light enters our eye and reaches our retina.
Of course how much this actually harms our eyes is still being looked into however research is suggesting it can damage the light-sensitive cells at the back of our eyes and replicates the changes seen in macular degeneration. Blue light also causes digital eye strain which is why most modern technology has added the option to have a filter, also known as nighttime viewing (that yellowish tinge you sometimes see on screens). It’s not all bad news however, blue light is actually good for us, it boosts alertness, helps memory as well as cognitive function. As we all know you can have too much of a good thing which is why it’s great that Acuvue have added a blue light filter to these lenses.
Back on to the topic of Transition contact lenses, Acuvue have answered a few questions you might have…
1. How will the contact lenses look on your eyes? They have been specially designed to minimise any changes to the eyes appearance.
2. Do the contact lenses work indoors? Even in their clearest state they filter the light.
3. Can you wear these contact lenses while driving? Yes they work during the day and night, in nighttime conditions they redice halos and starbursts from artificial light.
4. How quickly will they lighten up inside? How long does it take for them to get dark? The lenses begin to activate as soon as they are exposed to sunlight. When going from indoors to outdoors they quickly fade from dark to clear.
5. Should I wear sunglasses when I wear the lenses? Yes while these contact lenses do provide some UV/UVB protection they are not intended as a replacement for sunglasses.
So when can you wear them if you still need sunglases? For example if you play any kind of sport outdoors, football, rugby etc they would save you from having to wear glasses or sunglasses giving you great peripheral vision whilst filtering out the brighter light. If, like myself you ride motorcycles and you don’t want to constantly move your sun visor up and down when light conditions change they provide the perfect solution. Watch this space for an update on how I get on!
The lenses are available to try now so call up or pop in to book your consultation!
*FDA press release: FDA clears first contact lens with light adaptive technology https://fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/ pressannouncements/ucm604263.htm (assessed April 10, 2018)
† JJV Data on File 2018. Definition of ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ Light Intelligent Technology™
- JJV Data on File 2018. ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ Objective Clinical Claims
- JJV Data on File 2018. Material Properties: ACUVUE® OASYS Brand Contact Lenses with HYDRACLEAR Plus, ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ Light Intelligent Technology™, and Other Reusable Contact Lenses
**Calculated per ISO-8980-3 for 380-460nm (Blue Light Hazard Function, B(l))
***All ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses have Class 1 or Class 2 UV-blocking to help provide protection against transmission of harmful UV radiation to the cornea and into the eye. UV-absorbing contact lenses are NOT substitutes for protective UV-absorbing eyewear such as UV-absorbing goggles or sunglasses because they do not completely cover the eye and surrounding area.
These lenses are not a replacement for sunglasses.
ACUVUE® OASYS is a trademark of Johnson & Johnson Vision Care (Ireland) T/A Vision Care Ireland RSC. Transitions™ is a registered trademark, the Transitions™ logo, Transitions™ Light Intelligent Technology™ and Transitions Light Intelligent™ Lenses are trademarks of Transitions Optical, Inc. used under license by Transitions Optical Limited. © Johnson & Johnson Medical 2019